Friday, October 1, 2010

Lemon Jell-o

I have spent so much of Gabriel's life trying to give him what everyone else has.  I hate ever imagine him 'missing out' on anything.  My sister, Gabriel's Godmother, Auntie, and really the person who knows him second best, reminds me almost everyday:  "stop trying to give him what he cant have!"  When your the Mommy, its hard to imagine giving your child anything but everything.  The fact is, though, that Gabriel cant have everything.  It starts with food- anything prepared, frozen, or at a restaurant is off the list, as well as everything you would eat on any holiday, special occasion, or Sunday dinner, is off the list.  I create special 'anything,' from trick or treating and pumpkin picking,  to going to the fair, I try my best to mold everything into Gabriel's lifestyle so that he can have and experience what everyone else can.  I went through about a year of calling sausage "Gabriel's hot dog" until i finally heard my sister remind me "its not a hotdog!  He can't have a hotdog, and that's OK."

                                          Gabriel, as a baby, helping himself to what he'll never have!





I have been trying so hard for so long to make sure Gabriel doesn't feel like he's missing out on anything- but all Im doing is reminding him of what he cant have.  I couldn't feel more guilty.  If you took- say, ice cream, something everyone enjoyed, and always talked about how great it was.  Ice cream is something that you can drowned your emotions in, or celebrate something amazing with. ...... Now imagine a bowl of sugar free lemon jell-o.  If I call it ice cream does it make it taste better? no, no it doesn't at all.  Why not call it jell-o, and enjoy it as it's meant to be?  How often, as parents, do we try our best to protect our children so much, that we end up hurting them more in the end?  Everyday, in some sort of casual conversation, Gabriel's diet comes up.  I talk about it daily, and without hesitation can ramble off the list of nearly 50 foods we have to stay far away from, and every time, I say it with a smile.  I say "its ok! He's not missing it cause he doesn't know it." but he recognizes the sound of the ice cream truck, and every time it passes, he asks me to read all the ingredients.  Gabriel is old enough to have friends, he knows that ice cream is something they all love, and he knows that he cant have it, but every time, not understanding what food are made of, he asks me to read the ingredients of every package in the truck over and over again.  And I do, because Im still not ok with telling him thats it something he can never ever experience. I never let him know that its a big deal, and I never furrow my brows, or let my eyes water in front of him.  In front of him Im excited about his jell-o, and pineapple on his birthday. I'm crying as I write this, not because of what Gabriel can't have, but because of what he's missing.  As I sit here, thinking about everything that he misses, it feels different.  Years ago, I accepted what Gabriel's allergens are, and I am comfortable with all of it.  But still, after all this time, I haven't accepted what he can't experience.  It took years of my sister reminding me nearly every single day that its ok Gabriel cant have everything, before I finally stopped calling things by a different name.  For me, it was temporary way of pretending that this would fix it, that calling a springroll wrapper with plain grilled chicken a "taco," felt like he wasn't missing anything.  I'm still working on accepting what Gabriel misses, but he's no longer calling his jell-o "ice cream"

5 comments:

  1. My eyes tear every time I read your blog! And it is usually just after I applied my morning make up. You would think I would learn.

    Now, here is a reminder of how well Gabriel is coping with his "difference".

    Remember this....On Gabriel's 4th birthday he requested to go to the Spaghetti Factory for dinner. Now this is one place that Gabriel can have what he considers a special treat. Now that he has been diagnosed with a servere fish allergy I am not sure he will have this treat again since it has now been found that the smell of cooked fish drives his breathing out of whack.
    Well, on this special occasion, remember that we tried to celebrate in the most normal way by going out to dinner...Gabriel ordered his Rice Pasta with ONLY olive oil sprinkled on it, sometimes he gets a side of steamed PLAIN broccoli but this occasion I think he just ordered his special dish of pasta. If I remember correctly the drink of the day was apple juice or perhaps lemonade, that part did not hit me as much. Well, Gabriel's dish arrived and he smothered it in Pepper, which he can have. Watching in awe I could not believe this was going to taste good, but you told me, Yes he likes that. Then as Gabriel was about to take his first bite of his special occasion pasta he looked at me across the table and said to all of us present, "Aren't you gonna sing to me?"...Wow, smacked me in the face...I replied with a wooing chuckle, "of course we are" and we sang Happy Birthday to Gabriel. He smiled so wide and proud!
    Now you see, he was not getting ice cream, cupcakes or a frosted cake for dessert. Although it had not sunk in to me as I still thought it's a birthday celebration, and we will soon have dessert and sing. But Gabriel reminded us in his most innocent, cutest way... this was it..all he was eating was rice pasta and he was very OK with it!

    Different from last year on his 3rd birthday when we went to Chili's for his dinner as then he could have a plain burger with no bun and broccoli, there and we tried and tried to create a dessert. From ices, to frozen slushies, to Jamba Juice sending Aunt Titi all over town in search of a dessert only returning with something else he could not have. It was a nightmare for us all as we watched his disappointment. Now, Mom-Daughter you have learned so much and come a long way doing great at making Gabriel's life not "normal" as we would think since it never will be, but without a doubt his life is very special because of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sound like such a mean Auntie! I'm not cold heart-ed. I DO care for Gabriel to fit in - but I think its better he knows what he's eating rather than being confused and calling it something else. Yes, I always say, he's not allowed to have xyz, but he CAN have abc, so focus on that.

    So, tomorrow my day with my G$ will be focused on him. I'm calling the Deli at Bel Air right now so they can slice his Lebanon Bologna special first thing in the am and then we will make Gabriel's ice-pops with the frozen strawberries from the farmers market and maybe we'll even have bacon for breakfast!

    Stay positive and don't get yourself down. You're doing an AMAZING job and your positive attitude is reflected in Gabriel. Think of The Secret when you start to get sad about what he may be missing out on, and instead think of everything he is lucky to have - like YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mean Auntie? No Way! Auntie is totally right,

    Gabriel needs to know what things really are so he does not make harmful mistakes.

    Right On Auntie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did this 'fat boy' chunk-a-chunk man go?

    BTW - G, don't feel too bad, because I don't think ANYONE ever ate that candy...gross! I remember it sitting in that dish forever - LOL.

    I love you silly man. Even when you throw up on Uncle Tim not even 3 minutes after Mommy and Auntie leave so we have to come home to take care of you. We LOVE taking care of you and making sure you're healthy & safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so believe there is a bigger meaning to all of this we have yet to find. G$, Auntie and Mom are all part of God's plan, we just have to follow and have faith. So much love to share. Hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete