Saturday, October 23, 2010

Disabled

I'm sure you've heard of the ADA, Americans with Disabilities Act. This act states that public entities and public accommodations must ensure that individuals with disabilities have full access to and equal enjoyment of all facilities, programs, goods and services.  What constitutes as a disability? Someone who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, or is regarded as having such impairments. Breathing, eating, working and going to school are "major life activities." Asthma and allergies are still considered disabilities under the ADA, even if symptoms are controlled by medication.*  I've researched it a million times, and I've said it outlaid a thousand, but every time it wows me.  



Anyone who faces physical or mental impairment faces a deal of daily challenges.  The world we live in is slowly becoming more sensitive to the needs or those who are disabled. Most sidewalks have ramps, and most buildings have elevators.  Ironically, even the drive through ATM has braille.  Every parking lot has reserved handicap parking, and seeing eye dogs are allowed in any building.  We are- as well as we know how to be, sensitive, sympathetic, and accommodating.  I understand that the world is far from completely wheelchair accessible, or hearing impaired- friendly,  but I'm not sure the world has even begun to accommodate severe allergies and asthma.


Man, I would love a nice vacation.  Maybe a cruise.  Wouldn't that be nice?  Would the cruise line, and other passengers, be willing to accommodate my sons disability by not serving seafood, or nut products on the ship?  And what all American boy doesn't love baseball.  but the only game we could attend is one that accommodates his disability by not serving peanuts.  Maybe a cruise isn't an option for us.  Let's just fly somewhere instead.  Believe it or not-  I've found 1 airline who is willing to clean their aircraft, remove peanuts from the flight, and make an announcement asking other passengers to refrain from eating their own peanut products.  Thank you Southwest Airlines.  In a desperate attempt to take a vacation, I booked a flight last year, and called the airline to let them know in advance that peanuts could not be served on this flight.  I explained the severity of my sons peanut allergy, and I explained what dangerous repercussions could follow.  The airline said that this was not with in their policy.  Wow.  Because I don't believe in publicly announcing such unflattering things, I wont say the name of the airline.  I asked for a refund, and started looking for another flight.  Travel reservations like these aren't refundable.  Funny, they weren't willing to accommodate a life threatening illness, but they also weren't willing to grant me a refund so that I could find other accommodations.  Eventually, just weeks ago, more than 6 months, many letters, doctor's notes, and phone calls later, I was finally granted a refund.  So much for a vacation.  


I love Gabriel's preschool because it is a small, intimate, Christian preschool.  The teachers keep a close, personal eye on Gabriel's health.  I'm glad, and excited that Gabriel's school packs up and ships off to fun and exciting field trips often.  Of course, trips like Round Table Pizza, to make your own pizza, Ring-a-ling Brothers Circus, and the Pumpkin Patch are trips that Gabriel's doctors- really, Gabriel's health- restricts him from participating in.  Gabriel's school, after some debate, has accommodated us by only charging pro-rated rate tuition for the months that include field trips.  The rest of the less intimate world is not as accommodating. 


What can you do?   There are thousands of ways the world can work harder for allergies, and treat these conditions like we treat other commonly known disabilities. There should be a charity for lives like this.  There should be someone willing to pay for box seats to a ball game, so that disabled children with allergies could watch a live game with clean air.  There should be someone offering their services to replace your dangerous, hospital inducing grass with artificial turf, so that your disabled asthmatic little one can play out side for hours.  And airlines should be stop serving life threatening peanuts, or someone should provide an alternative. 
 I will.  I will begin to collect money to even the playing field for children with life threatening allergies and asthma. I will provide opportunities that these children are otherwise limited, and I will help provide funds to make life more accommodating for children with disabling Allergies and Asthma.  Will you support me?  As I grow my charity, I will let you know more.  Thank you for supporting Gabriel and I, and thank you for supporting Allergies and Asthma.

*Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=19&cont=255

1 comment:

  1. I will support you by helping to make a cookbook to sell for the cause...can we brainstorm and work on it?

    ReplyDelete