Wednesday, September 29, 2010

No time?

I've got to cook dinner for tomorrow; I'm thinking coconut curry chicken and rice with spinach for lunch, and maybe sausage with okra for dinner.  Im always amazed what this kid eats!  When you take away the chicken nuggets and grilled cheese, he really enjoys what's left!  I glared at the computer today thinking that I don't have the time or energy to blog.  This is a rough time of year for Gabriel- last October he was hospitalized twice.  It's time for some meds, and a breathing treatment, then of course emptying the dishwasher, cleaning, laundry-- oh the to-do list of a Mommy.  I thought of something my Mom said to me yesterday.  My mom  is possibly a bit OCD (and I mean that in the nicest way, Mom),  while I'm at it, my step mom is too (it's ok Susan, you just know where you like things).  I grew up around neatness and organization, everything had a place.  My mom stopped by the other day, at 8am, and wasn't at all impressed by the 'organization' of my house.  oops!  Yesterday, she called me, and told me this:

"I met a lady who has a 22 month old with cerebral palsy.  She was exhausted, completely overwhelmed, and laughed when she told a story about her Mom asking her why she didn't have time to get a pedicure.  It dawned on me that while your up in the middle of the night to give breathing treatments, working outside of your home more than 45 hours a week, and cooking special meals and things for Gabriel, cleaning doesn't seem so important.  Im sorry I joked about you not cleaning up for the sitter, with all you have going on cleaning is not so important"

Mom, I hope you don't mind me sharing that, but, really, it could be more true.  So, today, as Im feeling I don't have time to write, I thought Id share this story.

Moms: You're busy!  Whether you work from home, or outside, busy with doctors, or not, washing the sheets in hot water to eliminate dust once a week is much more important to your allergic kid than finding time to fold them and put them away.  It's OK if you don't have the time :)

2 comments:

  1. Daughta #2, its fine to share, you know I have no secrets! Especially if it can help someone else - shedding light on something they did not see.

    Allison's mom used to say "let the dust go"...unfortunately for you girls it took me a little long to get it! lol but true.

    I think myself and most all Mother's try to pass on to their children what they know so we can save our children time and suffering by not making the same mistakes. Its too bad somethings take longer to sink in than others.

    I am so glad to be at a point in life where all you kids and grand-kids teach me now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rocky, thought you might like this :)

    http://io9.com/5652156/having-intestinal-worms-could-prevent-allergic-reactions

    Though obviously I'm not suggesting that you should go out and find some intestinal worms for Gabriel... it's still interesting.

    ReplyDelete