Sunday, October 10, 2010

In the fall

Gabriels first autumn ambulance ride
Every Fall, usually in the month of October, Gabriel spends a couple days in the hospital.  Doctors have ordered us to avoid grass, and pumpkin patches, but it seems as though no matter how much avoiding we do, Gabriel doesn't do so well.  I couldn't tell you what it is, the dry grass and straw everywhere, the mildew-y pumpkins, or the leaves falling off every tree- but this is always Gabriels worst time of year.


Well, once again that time has come.  All week long Gabriels lungs have tightened, screaming for a breathing treatment every 2-4 hours.  I beef up his lungs with preventative steroids twice a day, cross my fingers and keep him indoors.  Im working so hard to keep it from getting worse, I haven't figured out how to make it better just yet.  We're exhausted.  Waking up early, and staying up late, checking for wheezes and crackles, and emotionally worry each and every minute, takes a toll on us both.  Often I wish i had a better grasp on what makes this time of year so bad.  If I knew more of his triggers than I would know what to avoid.

Most of us assume that the pollen filled spring air, or the lung-tighenting cold of the winter is the worst time for an asthmatic.  Of course, each child has their own triggers, and their own 'time of year,' but this fall season seems terribly common.  Just a few weeks ago I talked to my sister about my nephews allergies, last week my youngest sister suffered one her worst and extremely dangerous asthma attacks, and we couldn't arrange a play date with one of Gabriel's best friends because he dealing with a wheezy mucosy cough this week as well!  Sure, we all anticipate he holidays, and patiently wait for the snow to fall, but as the parent of an asthmatic child, we bolt down the windows, lock ourselves indoors, and hold our breathe till the cold wintry season finally arrives.

We wont be visiting the park, and we wont be taking any walks.  This month, well make sure to stay far from any pumpkin patches, and we'll visit the doctor often.  This month, Ill visit his school on my lunch break, and make sure to keep administering the meds.  We'll buy our pumpkins from the grocery store, and well play board games in the house.  Im determined to make this the October that Gabriel stays  healthy, and in his own bed!

1 comment:

  1. Raquel I can't imagine having to go thru the things your having to do for your son. I see how hard it must be and find how amazing you are. Gabriel is lucky to have you for a mom. Keep up the good work. We are so blessed with our children and they always come first no matter what. This blog is a great informative source it makes me cry thinking of all the things Gabriel can't do. Hopefully more companies will hear about his story and produce more products that he can eat. Keep smiling my prayers go out to you guys from Sissy and my guys.

    ReplyDelete