Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Dessert!

Gabriel's preschool teacher stopped me as I was dropping him off yesterday to let me know that they were having a class party on Wednesday.  She named off some of his classmates and what they were bringing.  I knew Gabriel's teacher was familiar with his allergies,   I asked her what I should bring.  Usually she asks for apple juice, or something simple that Gabriel is allowed, and can share.    "He said you're making apple cupcakes!"

Ok then, apple cupcakes it is!  I've been researching and experimenting with recipes for Gabriel for years. When you take the flour, eggs, butter, baking powder, and powdered sugar out or something- there's not much left.  Long ago, Ive mastered desserts that Gabriel loves, but finding something that the rest of us will actually enjoy is the difficult part!  Every time I cook it gets better, but I've really mastered it this time, and Gabriel knows it.

Yesterday was a great trial.  Good friends invited us for dinner, so of course I called and said "What can I bring!?"  I was assigned dessert.  Perfect.  I ran home and threw together my new recipe for apple cake.  Grabbed it out of the oven, and while it was still hot, we headed out the door.  Now, either my friends are very nice, and know how hard I work at this, or they are honest.  Which it is Ill never know.  Nice or honest, the apple cake was described as "Uh-Mazing!," and "better than apple pie!"

Ill share my apple cake recipe,  hoping that I can save at least one person from making 300 allergy friendly desserts while desperately trying to invent something edible.


Mix 3 eggs (for us, it's Ener G gluten free egg re placer),
1 3/4 cups sugar,
and 1 cup oil (since Gabriel is allergic to vegetable oil, I've found that coconut oil works best)

In a separate bowl mix together;
2 cups gluten free flour mix (I use 1 cup rice flour, 1/2 cup potato starch, and 1/2 cup sweet rice flour)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder (If your baking for someone with a corn allergy, make sure to buy a corn free baking powder at a specialty store)
1 tsp salt

Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and add
1/2 tsp Gluten free vanilla
and 3 sliced and peeled apples (today, I only had 2 apples left, so I added them, and 1/2 cup apple sauce, and it was just as great)

Bake at 375 for 50 minutes.

Best served warm with your dairy free ice cream of choice.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment