Sunday, September 26, 2010

to teach or not to teach

My first appointment today at the salon was one of my regular clients, a first grade teacher.  I can tell he has passion for his career, and for his students- and we never get more than 10 minutes into the haircut without talking about his school, and his class.  This teacher has a first grader with a life-threatening peanut allergy. I pay close attention to his details about the adjustments the school makes to accommodate her, and try to imagine what first grade is like for a child with a history anaphylaxis.  The secure, homey first grade classroom sounds promising.  This class stays in their room for snack time, to hear a story and to keep safe from cross contamination, they wash hands as a class, and use table cloths to protect from crumbs.  My fears and concerns subside when I think of the protection that the  family like atmospheres of the Kindergarden and first graders.  As our children grow older, they require less supervision, but also learn to be curious, forgetful, and fearless.  Older kids are too busy to wash their hands, instead they are playing 'dare' and testing the limits.  9 and 10 year olds don't give me the same safe secure feeling that the kindergarden classroom does.

I am a third generation teacher.   I can attest that the teachers in my family tree are passionate and impactful.  I value education, and I believe socialization skills are possibly more important than the textbook curriculum that our diplomas credit us for.  Recently, the idea of homeschooling Gabriel has crossed my path from a million directions.  Gabriel's allergist recommended it.  I can clearly see why.  'Living Without', a magazine for people living with allergies and food sensitivities recently featured an article on a family who chose homeschooling for their very allergic child.  In my box at work, i found a pamphlet of the Charter Homeschool options in our area.  I started asking, and seeking information, because it seemed to be finding me anyway.
 I learned that children in a homeschool program can attend school (usually once a week) for music, art, or PE classes.  Homeschooled students can participate in extracurricular activities- like sport teams or theatre that your school may offer.  A student like Gabriel- should he be homeschooled in the future- will never be able to blend in with his classmates; I hate to use the "N" word, so let's say that he wont always feel like he fits in with his friends.
 Play-doh, fieldtrips, experiments, fundraisers, school dances and functions, class pets, gym class, candy rewards, noodle necklaces, and charts made from glued cheerios are all things that Gabriel could not participate in.  Maybe it would be best to limit his interaction to controlled environments, and those that do no involve food.  The teacher-client in the salon this morning raved about the homeschool curriculum and program that his school district offered.  Wow, did I ever expect to hear a teacher pleased with the idea of homeschooling in these situations?   Doctor, teacher, and Auntie agree, maybe its time for this Mommy to seriously consider it.

No comments:

Post a Comment