Monday, September 27, 2010

Comfort Food

Luckily- I don't mind cooking!  I consider it a challenge, and love surprising myself with what I can put together out of our safe foods.  When I was growing up- like most americans, the food I ate did much more than provide me with the necessary ingredients I needed to grow.  I love to eat food because it tastes good. I crave something amazingly creamy, or savory- and I've gone out of my way to satisfy that craving.  Haven't you?  Food isn't just something we indulge in for pleasure. Food incorporates 2 of our five senses- the smells and tastes of things we've grown up eating create memories, feelings of security, and defines the meaning of comfort food.  Food was such an important part of my childhood, and still is in my adult life that I refused to ever let Gabriel live without that.  A feeding tube was not an option for Gabriel and I, I was motivated to create a menu that Gabriel could eat, but especially enjoy and create memories with.
My Granny was cooking every time I came over.  Sometimes dessert, sometimes a feast of a dinner- but either way my stomach feels warm and full, when I think back on those fond memories.  My Granny was from Carolina, and her southern style was as memorable as southern comfort food is described as.  She always cooked with vegetables fresh from her garden, and went out of her way to cook something that I especially loved if she knew I was on my way.  I had one mild food allergy as a child- and at home I ate a mostly milk free diet.  When I went to Granny's, I was spoiled with dairy free tofu lasagna.  She bought me Tofutti Ice cream sandwiches, and created special meals that I normally missed out on to accommodate my allergies.  At Granny's house, I got to eat something just like what everyone else ate- and I loved it.  If you've ever had your spouse cook for you, or you Mom make you soup when you're sick, you know that nothing makes you feel better than someone going out of their way to cook something special just for you.   My Granny passed away when I was early into Gabriel's pregnancy- but the fond memories of everything she went out of her way to cook for me are still appreciated.  I know that everyone has lost loved ones- and everyone has someone they miss dearly. Some of us tear up when we hear a particular song, maybe when you see a picture your loved one was fond of, or smell your Grandfathers musty cologne.  I tear up a bit when I cook lasagna, and I feel what it feels like to love someone through the food you cook for them.  When you cant find the words to tell someone how much you care about them, and you can't describe just how much you are concerned with their happiness- show your love through the kitchen, and they will remember it like I do.  I love Gabriel through something special in the kitchen everyday.  This family of 2 uses more pots and pans than any household large enough to pack out a minivan.  Gabriel's lasagna sauce is simmered for hours- pumpkin puree seasoned with basil and garlic makes a great substitute for a tomato allergy.  Gabriel's noodles are made from rice, and we can't use sausage, but love love to add ground beef to our lasagna. I simmer coconut milk, mixed with rice milk, and thickened with tapioca powder to make a creamy sauce that mimics cheese to pour over the top.  Between the layers I add chopped spinach, and other veggies.  Gabriel's lasagna may not be much of a lasagna at all- but he enjoys it, and I make sure he can.  With such a list of allergies, I try not to focus of food's importance, and try not to connect emotions to edible things, but feelings tend to bypass our brains when we eat, and our hearts feel compassion, and incredibly content. I felt an incredible amount of love when my Granny cooked something special for me, and I love Gabriel as much as I can through my cooking as well.




Gabriel with his rice and avocado 'sushi'

G

1 comment:

  1. You are doing such a great job using your creative mind not only in decorating, gift making, and hair styling but with menus and foods for Gabriel that you create. God made no mistake giving this child to you.

    There are so many others that would benefit from your skills, enthusiasm, stick-to-it-ivness, and knowledge....I know you are super busy, but for others like Gabriel ....there should be a Cook Book for Special Diets...lets all think how we can recruit help...I will be the first volunteer...Some Mom's and caregivers alike would so benefit from having your ideas and recipes.

    Or how about making youtube videos on your pumpkin lasagna?

    And, Awesome job remembering Granny! She was an amazing lady with buckets and buckets of love.

    ReplyDelete