Monday, February 21, 2011

To the Restaruant Owners, Waiters, and Cooks

Dear Restaurant Owner, Waiter, Cook, or To Whom This May Concern:

I am writing regarding my medically disabled child, and other children with life threatening food related disorders.  In a recent visit to a privately owned restaurant, I was provided the ingredients in a specific menu item.  I was pleased to hear a short list of only three natural ingredients.  These ingredients, sugar being one of them, are all safe for my son.
The pleasant waiter/cashiers was apparently unclear on what 'sugar' is.  You see, for some children, like my son, even small amounts, as small as just a few PPM (parts per million), of corn starch, syrup, or additives can significantly impact his health.  In fact, it can cause permanent tissue damage in his esophagus, and affect his ability to swallow as an adult.
Owners, I urge you to educate your staff on the importance of confidently answering questions regarding the ingredients of your menu items.  I encourage you to take life threatening food allergies very seriously.  What may seem, to a healthy person, to be such an insignificant amount of an ingredient , can be deadly to others.

I would be happy to help further educate yourself, or your employees on the severity of food related disorders.   For more thorough information on allergies and anaphylaxis, and how to protect your consumers, patrons, and customers please visit the Food Allergy Initiative at FAIUSA.org, or The Food Allergy and Anyphylaxis network at www.foodallergy.org

Thank you for your time in this important matter.

Sincerely,

Raquel Dispenziere



I said "we'll have a small pineapple, but in a paper to-go cup please, my son cant use these cups, because he's allergic to corn"
He answered "The cup won't bother him."
"Yes, sir, he's very sensitive to it, may I please have a to go cup."
"Well, everything here has corn in it."
"I'm sorry, What!?"
"Yea, everything has corn. "
"No sir, I asked several times, they told me it's only pineapple, sugar, and water."
"I can assure you theres corn.  A little bit of corn syrup. About 2%"
"Wow, omigosh, I cant believe they told me there was only sugar when I asked!"
"Well, corn syrup is sugar."
"No sir, it's not.  Not when you're dangerously allergic to corn.  Please advise your employees on all the ingredients, that is very dangerous.   Goodbye."

Really? Did that just happen? Yes, yes it did.  Some of Gabriel's foods could cause instant life threatening anaphylaxis. Some of Gabriel's foods cause him to vomit, instantly. Some of Gabriel's foods cause a sneaky army of white blood cells to attack his throat in intestines, and yes, cause permanent damage.  Because these symptoms can be so disguised, and can hide deep inside his organs leaving me no sign, the appropriate protocol for someone with Eosinophillic Esophagitis is to perform annual biopsies of the esophagus to look for thee sneaky culprits and to check on the progression of intestinal damage.  Have you ever seen a painful, raw, patchy rash called eczema covering the knees or elbows of an allergic child?  Those same white blood cells, those eosinophils, are the same attackers that affect Gabriel.  Sometimes, yes in his skin.  Most times, they attack his insides, his esophagus.  Imagine trying to eat, or swallow, or even pass air through a tube in your throat that is terribly swollen and inflamed, raw, and as itchy as poison ivy.  Imagine what it would feel like to have the esophageal wall inflame so much that you cant swallow at all, and all the food you plan on ingesting comes back up?  These white blood cells have been wreaking havoc on Gabriel's insides for weeks, disguised by the fact that Gabriel has eaten gelato at night.  Eating at night means that he didn't have to swallow anything else for 14 hours.  And the lingering symptoms?  Today I learned that my embarrassed Gabriel has been keeping a long bout of painful diarrhea a secret from me for weeks.
I am thankful that the error didn't result in deadly anaphlyaxis, incredibly thankful.  I couldn't help but to be a bit angry.  Naturally, I was defensive, and protective of my son.  I was angry at myself for bringing Gabriel to get gelato 4 times since we discovered the shop, but especially upset with the response of the gentleman I spoke to last night.

I am again reminded why I write this blog.  My intentions are to educate the public.  Today, specifically, I hope to educate at least one waiter, or one cook.  Because even that one waiter, can save the life of one child, when they are cautious.  Yes, my son looks healthy, yes he's energetic, and he's vibrant.  But he also carries around a backpack loaded with prescription drugs to save him from an allergic reaction.  Portable Breathing machine, Epi-Pens, and 6 other prescriptions that save us time and time again.  Trace amounts, even contaminated spoons, can affect an allergic patient.  These sensitive patients otherwise looks healthy, but please, when someone asks for ingredients, and informs you of an allergy, take this very seriously.  You may be the one to save their life.

2 comments:

  1. I was telling Tim what happened and could hardly get the words out because I was crying. You were beside yourself and I just didn't know how to even begin explaining to Gabriel why they "now" have corn in the gelato and how he can't have his 'ice cream' ... not today or ever (at this place) ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh, I am so sad and sorry!
    I cannot put it in words.

    ReplyDelete